Friday, February 19, 2010

Our Intentions were good.

"You choose a side...because you have to. It's not suppose to be the right one. The difference being...our...intentions were good." (Sgt Jim Raynor in the movie Rush 1991)

I was thinking about that line from the Movie Rush as I watched and read the news over the past week. It occurred to me than many people seem to think that way. As long as your intentions are good it does not matter. You can do anything as long as you have good intentions.

ACORN- Lie cheat steal. But we were trying to help the poor and helpless. Our intentions were good.

S.E.I.U - Beat down protesters at summer town hall meetings. But I our intentions were to help get health care passed. We had to stop those people from using their right to free speech. Our intentions were good.

I heard somewhere that "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I am beginning to see how true that statement is.

The problem is this. Once you resort to lying, cheating, stealing, and ex specially violence you have lost the debate. If you have to do those things to accomplish your goals you need to examine your goals. And if you resort to using those tactics because the others side has then you are no better. Or as the character Christen Cates replied to Jim Raynor: The difference is there is no difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment